Mathematics is one of the scientific departments in the College of Basic Education. It opened in (2012-2013). This department accepts high school graduates (12th grades) in a central system chosen by the ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. Students study for four years and will be granted a B.Sc. in Mathematics from the College of Basic Education. Graduated students can be employed at the basic schools as teachers or work at public and private sectors.
Mathematics plays an important role in our daily lives. It is fundamental to other sciences and helpful to think reasonably. Math department in the College of Basic Education tries to improve educational and scientific level of the department in a way that is compatible with the modern system of education. For this, we need to develop and change the methods of teaching and replace them by the modern methods that our department is planning and aiming at.
For the purpose of teaching Math material units and improving its level the department suggests the following:
1. Adding math teaching method courses to the syllabus to be taught in all the four stages to enhance the quality of teaching.
2. Adding sources for the course units written in Kurdish language alongside those of English which enhance comprehension.
3. Opening special departments to develop mathematical knowledge of the whole university students such as MathScop which are currently utilized by the British Universities.
4. Additionally, our department is planning to apply the course system for the department`s study.
1. Preparing successful teachers who are able to teach math in all of the basic school grades.
2. Building up successful cadres who are familiar with scientific research.
3. Encouraging and training students to pursue their MA and PhD studies.
4. Improving students` level of understanding of Math subject and encouraging them to implement it in their daily life activities, work places, markets etc. rather than the educational field alone.