The Arabic Language Department of the College of Basic Education opened in Rania in 2014-2015, for the Ministry of Education teachers who hold a diploma in Arabic language and they are currently teaching in the public schools. It has accepted 64 students as the first step.
Raparin University as a newly established university in Kurdistan is trying to introduce itself as a different university in terms of higher education and scientific research and it also endeavours to have a significant role in the development of Kurdish community with regards to science and the aspects of people’s life in the region. The Arabic Department is one of the most important structures of this university due to the increasing demands of society to have more graduates in the field of Arabic language. So, the department is looking forward to establishing well-qualified education experts to enhance the teaching process needed for the Kurdish community.
This department has a firm position in most universities in the Muslim majority countries for being the language of Holy Quran and for the fact that a profound amount of information is written in Arabic language. This department attempts like the Arabic departments of other universities to create good opportunities for students to maintain learning and teaching. This importance is due to the fact that it is the first language across Iraq and second in Kurdistan Region. Consequently, our mission is to develop students’ skills in Arabic and maintain their potential abilities in the areas of information and education and also guide learners in the best possible way. Thus, the department aims at developing students’ language and literature abilities, their cultural perception and awareness, and their Arabic language skills.
1. Protecting Arabic language and correcting the way spoken Arabic is practised among Kurdish students and speakers.
2. Teaching Arabic language, including speaking, reading, listening and writing.
3. Developing critical thinking skills of Kurdish students as learners of Arabic.
4. Preparing good teaching staff members for Basic Schools in the region.
5. Creating a solid ground for the communication and enhance speaking abilities for the students as learners of Arabic.